Winschoten (Gr):
reformed church or St. Vitus
In
the 12th century a chapel was built along the road from Groningen
to Münster. In ca. 1275 this chapel was replaced by the
current church, at that time dedicated to St. Vitus. It is a
one-aisled, five traves long building in Romano-Gothic
style. Although at first sight perfectly preserved this church
has been changed in several ways since it was built. The current
state of the church is the result of a restoration in 1905-1907
following plans by C.H. Peters. Although this architect never
built a church he was a former student of P.J.H.
Cuypers and an important architect of neo-Gothicism. Completely
in the tradition of his former tutor, who probably advised him,
he restored the church as much to its former catholic glory as
possible, despite its use as a reformed church. Both inside and
outside a coat of plaster was removed. The western facade was
largely renewed and a frieze with pointed niches was added to
the walls. Inside the typically Romano-Gothic mellon-vaults were
reconstructions as the original ones were demolished in the 17th
century and replaced by a barrel-vault
Although it stands at some distance, the tower actually was built
for the church. The lower part of this tower probably dates from
the 13th century. The upper parts date from a restoration in
1930-1931 by D. Bolhuis and are made of concrete and partly covered
by a coat of bricks.
|