![]()
In 1871 the parish obtained a plot of land on one of the town's bastions. Architect E.J. Margry was commissioned to design a new church, probably his third. Unlike its neo-Gothic predecessors this church was designed mostly in a neo-Romanesque style. It's a rather long pseudo-basilica with all three aisles covered by a single roof. The nave is illuminated by narrow but tall windows and has a tower halfway at the left side. At the right side the fourth trave, opposite the tower, has a large circular window. Another odd element is the fake triforium in the interior. The three aisles are covered with wooden barrel-vaults while the choir has a vault out of brick, supported on the outside by two small and peculiar flying buttresses. Construction was tendered in October 1871 and work began in April the next year and was completed in 1873. A portal was added to the front in 1923 and was probably designed by architect P. Snel. |
![]() ![]() ![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
![]() ![]() |
Back to Krimpenerwaard municipality |